Decorating for the holiday season can be difficult while living in a dorm and having limited income from being a college student. With finals approaching, decorating for the holidays becomes even more impossible. Learn how to make quick and easy holiday decorations for your dorm or apartment with this how-to guide.
Red Solo Cup Wreath
- 17 red solo cups
- A ribbon/bow
- Glue Gun
- Align Cups together in a circle and apply glue where they touch
- Glue bow on top
- Puncture hole in top cup
- Put ribbon through hole and tie knot to hang on door/wall
Red Solo Cup Jingle Bells
- 3 Red solo cups
- Puncture small hole in bottom of all 3 cups.
- Put ribbon through all 3 holes and tie knot on the inside.,
- Cut ribbon at 3 different lengths.
- Tie a large bow with a separate piece of ribbon.
- Tie the 3 ribbons with attached bells (cups) onto the base of the giant bow.
Candy Cane Wreath
Candy canes wreaths run on home-made goods websites such as Etsy for up to $40! Why waste the money when you can make your own for $5?
- 17 candy canes
- Glue gun
- Align candy canes in circle either facing each other to make hearts or all facing the same direction.
- Use the glue gun to apply small amounts of glue where the candy canes touch.
- Glue or tape a bow in the middle for extra decoration.
- Take a piece of ribbon and tie a hole with a knot around the top candy cane so it can hang.
Sophomore Tanner Butler lives in Potter Hall and enjoys the festive decorations.
“Potter Hall is pretty festive during the holidays. Some people decorate their doors. One even looks like a nicely wrapped gift. Others have lights and garland. The lounge has winter decorations that look great. Personally, I do not decorate, because I will not be here during winter break.”
- 2 pieces of red construction paper
- 2 pieces of green construction paper
- Use the scissors to cut all 4 pieces of construction paper into thin rectangular strips
- Interloop the thin paper strips alternating green and red and use a piece of tape to attach them together
- Hang the festive garland anywhere you’d like
Create Your Own Tree
- Wrapping paper or large colored construction paper
- Cut wrapping paper or construction paper into a large triangle or “tree” shape that you like
- Cut the ribbon to fit the borders of the cut out design (tree)
- Use tape to stick it to the front or back of a door, or on a wall for a quick, easy tree!
Snow Man Door/Fridge
- Black construction paper (for eyes, mouth, and buttons)
- Orange construction paper (for carrot nose)
- Thick ribbon, colored construction paper, or wrapping paper (for scarf)
- Magnets or tape
- Use scissors to cut black paper into small circles for the eyes, mouth and buttons.
- Use scissors to cut orange paper into a long triangle for the carrot nose.
- Use scissors to cut ribbon, colored paper, or wrapping paper into two long rectangles for the scarf.
- Apply magnets to the back of pieces of paper or use tape to attach them to a white fridge or door.
To see some of these decorations in person, make sure to stop by Pawprint’s Cookies and Cocoa Holiday Party this Thursday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Annex behind the Art & Design building!
To learn about more holiday events coming up on campus click here.
What are your favorite ways to decorate for the holidays? Comment below!