As Maryville students approach the month of October, most are starting to get into the swing of things. By the swing of things, I mean living in the library and taking three naps a day. That still counts, right? Whether you’re a transfer student, freshman or you just haven’t quite figured out all Maryville has to offer, everyone should know about these hidden gems.
SECRET STUDY SPACES
For most of us, sitting at Kaldi’s with a nonstop flow of people walking in and out or sitting in your room with your roommates’ continuous chatter is not ideal. Luckily, there are some more low-key study spots around campus where you (hopefully) won’t be interrupted.
- The Chapel: Although this one wasn’t technically
designed to be a study space, who goes into the chapel to be loud? Unless there’s a religious service or CRU meeting going on, this one is a guaranteed quiet space.
- Walker Hall Study Rooms: These rooms on the top floors of Walker are equipped with whiteboard walls, an Apple TV and a huge work space. Good luck fighting the PT, OT and nursing students for the space, though.
- The Auditorium/Classrooms: Although these places weren’t actually made to be study spaces, often times either the auditorium or classrooms are open and empty.
Let me guess, I had you at free. As college students, our motto is “anything free is anything for me.”
- Apple Core/IT: Using IMovie is about the most tech-savvy thing I can do, and that may be exaggerating. But with the help of these pros, you’ll never have to go to Yahoo Answers for a tech question again. Don’t want to walk all the way to the library to find them? You can even troubleshoot with a Maryville Apple Core worker online.
- Library Rent Desk: Forget your calculator today? Computer dead? Need to borrow an entire replica of a human skeleton? You’d be amazed at all the things you can rent out at the library.
- Tutoring: Have one question about your biology lab? Have 60 questions about your biology lab? Go ahead and drive the tutors crazy with all your questions; They’re paid to help you. I don’t know about you, but I’d go crazy if I didn’t have an English tutor to proofread every sentence I write.
Everyone needs a break sometimes. Instead of hiding in your dorm all weekend, try out these spots around campus that not everyone knows about.
- Walking Trails: How many schools have as nice of walking trails as Maryville? Within these scenic trails you can find views of Lake Maryville, a gazebo and even a few picnic table areas. And if you’re really looking for a secretive place to study, how does the woods sound?
- Grills: These weekend barbeque tools are found behind the Hilltop Apartments and are open to all Maryville students. All you need is a pack of hotdogs and someone who actually knows how to work a grill, and this barbeque is one for the books.
- Massage Chairs: Why isn’t this on the flyer to recruit new Saints? Maryville has massage chairs! What else could a university possibly need? Head to the Center of Student Engagement or even nurse Pam’s office to find these exam-week necessities.
- Residence Hall Lounges: Are you a commuter or do you live off campus? No problem. You don’t need a residence hall ID to get into these lounges. The basement of Mouton is equipped with a full lounge and study area. The lobbies in Potter and Saints have a pool table and free popcorn all day. An extra bonus: free coffee in the Saint’s lodge.